Student Extra-curricular and Wellbeing resources
The Appleton School Safeguarding team are here to support you. The following resources can also be used when working from home.
Planning the Day
Having routines in place can help to relieve anxiety. Try using this checklist from the Education Endowment Foundation to help you structure your day:
Supporting home learning routines - Planning the day
NEVER ACCEPTABLE - Anonymous Reporting
- MFL: La Chandeleur is on the 2nd of February in France. We would like to challenge year 7and 8 to make pancakes and create a video/ picture diary showing them following the French recipe and making the pancakes. Please submit your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 19th February.
- Post 16 options for Year 11: Use the Unifrog website to register your choices for Post-16.
- English: Our termly AR competitions are running as usual, and you can complete AR tests from home by using the link below:
Next week we will also be launching our World Book Day competition. In the meantime, you can find more resources and reading ideas by visiting the website:
- Design and Technology: There are many STEM engineering challenges that can be completed virtually. Please send photos or videos of your efforts to Ms Fairhurst. Use the links below to access these challenges, or email Ms Fairhurst for more information:
Dyson Challenge Cards Technology Student Challenges
- STEM: Please find attached the STEM challenge cards to help you to complete our extracurricular challenges.
Exercise and Physical Wellbeing
- The Appleton School Distance Challenge: As a school, we are attempting to walk and run from The Appleton School to the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo. Once you have completed a walk or run, submit the distance you have travelled using the link above.
- Yoga with Adriene
- 30 days of Yoga
- PE with Joe Wicks
Mental Health and Wellbeing Resources
- Calm - a free app to aid relaxation, meditation and sleep
- Headspace - a free app to promote mindfulness and reduce stress and anxiety
- Off the Grip - a free app that monitors your screen time
- Student Minds
- Kooth online mental wellbeing community
- The Mental Health Foundation
- All it takes is 10 minutes - a TED Talk
- How to Achieve Anything - a talk from Gareth Southgate and Sharky
- A list of NHS-approved apps to help you with your mental health and wellbeing
- A helpful video from the Anna Freud centre that explains we all have mental health
- The app Wysa offers a private reflective space. It is an online therapy chatbot and can be downloaded as an app on your phone. You can choose areas you are interested in and will be presented with suggested activities for positivity and wellness.
- Mental Health Wellbeing Advice
- Wellbeing Online Activities
- LGBT Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Wellbeing Presentation
- Wellbeing Beating Anxiety
- Child Bereavement UK helps children, parents and families to rebuild their lives when a child grieves or when a child dies.
Helpline – 0800 0288840
- EWMHS (Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Service) provides advice and support to children, young people and families who are in need with their emotional wellbeing or mental health difficulties.
Helpline – 0300 300 1600
- CAVS (Castle Point Association of Voluntary Services) is a local based voluntary run charity that offer help and guidance to individuals as well as families. They address specific local need, including working with vulnerable young people, children and families, social isolation, health and well-being.
Helpline – 01268 214 000
- Family Lives provides targeted early intervention and crisis support to families who are struggling. The issues they support families with include family breakdown, challenging relationships and behaviour, debt, and emotional and mental wellbeing.
Parent support Helpline 0808 800 2222
- Bullying UK. You can get information on all aspects of bullying, from online bullying, verbal bullying to bullying in the workplace (Part of Family Lives).
Parent support Helpline – 0808 800 2222
- Childline is your – a free, private and confidential service where you can talk about anything. They are online and on the phone at any time.
Helpline 0800 1111
- Renew Counselling offer a wide range of high quality, affordable and effective counselling and therapy services.
Chelmsford 01245 359353 / Basildon 01268 822800
- Mind offers services, support and advice to people with mental distress. They also provide information to professionals, carers, family and friends.
Mind Helpline 0300 123 3393 / Mind Helpline Basildon 01268 284130
- Yellow Door (Canvey Island Youth Project) is an independent charity, offering information, advice, advocacy, emotional and practical support, education and counselling, and activities to young people between 11 and 25. They are a local based charity in Canvey Island.
Information Phoneline – 01268 683431
- Winston’s Wish supports bereaved children, young people, their families and the professionals who support them. They support children and young people after the death of a parent and sibling.
Helpline 08088 020 021