Free School Meals
Guidance Notes and How to Apply
Please keep these notes for reference
The amount allocated for the free school meal, (currently £2.45), will be automatically added by the system on a daily basis. Any unspent part of the allowance, is removed from their account at the end of the day, and will not roll over to the next day’s balance. The student can add extra cash to their balance using any of the methods mentioned above. This will enable them to have a greater daily spend than the free school meal allowance, for example, for an additional snack at break time.
Free School Meals are administered by The Appleton School and the qualifying rules are decided by Central Government.
Do you qualify?
Parents or guardians receiving the following benefits can use this form to claim Free School Meals.
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child tax credit with an annual gross income into the household that is no more than £16,190 provided you are not entitled to working tax credit. If you are entitled to any part of working tax credit there is no eligibility with the exception of working tax run-on as shown below.
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Free School Meals can only be given on the basis of a completed and approved application and cannot be backdated.
If your benefit ceases, your household annual taxable income increases to over £16,190 or, you are awarded Working Tax Credit, your child does not then qualify for free meals and you must let The Appleton School know immediately. You will be required to repay the money to the school for meals taken if you continue to claim them when your child is no longer entitled.
How to Apply:
If you do not have access to the Internet and require an application form, or you have any questions, please contact the Finance Office by telephone on 01268 794215 Option 5.
When an application is agreed, you will be advised either by email or letter and the school will be advised directly of the decision.
Entitlement is reviewed termly and you will be notified if the entitlement has ceased.