The Appleton School - SEND Provision Intent, Implementation and Impact
At The Appleton School we are inclusive school where the teaching and learning, achievements, attitudes and well-being of every pupil matter. The school provides an inclusive curriculum, which is designed to meet the needs of all its pupils including those with special educational needs (including social, emotional and mental health needs), those from all cultural backgrounds and pupils with English as an additional language.
The SEND Faculty will help staff in school provide a fully inclusive educational experience for all students regardless of abilities and disabilities. We identify students who have barriers to learning and give strategies to overcome these with reasonable adjustments and adaptive approaches. We support families by offering regular meetings to all students on the SEND register to ensure they are at the centre of all that is planned and implemented both in and out of school with regards to their education and wellbeing.
Through our high quality planning, teaching and provision we:
- Pride ourselves on early identification and intervention for SEND to ensure that progress and opportunities are maximised.
- Provide an accessible learning environment which is tailored to the needs of the individual
- Aim to develop children’s’ independence and life-skills.
- Regularly monitor the progress of children with SEND
- Provide quality and relevant training for all staff members supporting children with SEND
- Work in partnership with parents and carers
- Work closely with external agencies and other professionals to continually develop our provision and awareness of needs.
Every teacher is a teacher of SEND. Inclusion is a thread that runs through every area of the school which is enhanced by collaboration between senior leaders, teachers, support staff, external agencies, parents and most importantly, the child. Staff from our SEND Faculty will liaise with you and your child’s primary school to ensure we understand their needs and that we can fully cater for them. When enrolled at The Appleton School we can offer specific interventions to our pupils if appropriate. These interventions may include:
- Additional support in lessons from LSA’s.
- Pupil passports / One plans
- Literacy and Numeracy Interventions.
- Social Skills Groups
- Zones of Regulation
- Counselling (On-site)
- Break and Lunchtime Clubs (Mix and Munch)
- Daily Homework Clubs
- Academic Mentoring Program
- Support Sessions in Curriculum Support
- Careers Pathways Support
- Handwriting Interventions
- Exam Access Arrangements / Use of laptops and alpha smart technologies
- Time Out Cards / Early leave passes / Toilet and medical passes
- Strengthening Minds Programs to support Behaviour, Engagement and Self Esteem.
- Referrals to external agencies such as Educational Psychologist and Occupational Therapists.
The SENDCo will track your child’s progress and feedback all relevant information throughout the academic year via telephone, email, annual review or student passport / one plan reviews.
- Students at The Appleton School feel happy, safe and supported during their journey through The Appleton School.
- We believe with the right support and guidance all our students can achieve not only their potential but above and beyond.
- We aim to ensure students are prepared for adulthood when they leave us, with a clear route to achieve their aspirations.
- We pride ourselves on ensuring every child is included whilst working towards the very highest standards of work, attendance, and behaviour.
- We help mould our students into lifelong learners, people who can make a positive contribution to society.
- Many of our students go onto colleges, apprenticeships and universities and experience tremendous success due to the foundations they have built at our school.